Most experts advise you to create variety in your exercise regimen to maintain interest. How can you do so? Well, why don’t you try to stretch yourself to the maximum limit without any rhyme or reason? Why don’t you walk in to the gym and decide that you are going to do your best to exercise at top intensity throughout your regimen?
You will probably have to crawl back into bed after the day is done. However, chances are high that you will feel exhilarated about the fact that you pushed yourself so hard and were successful in doing so.
First, there may be days when you may just not have the mood to exercise. In such a scenario, you can try doing some dance routines or aerobic routines at home. If you can push yourself to go to the gym, you can focus on cardio exercises and avoid muscle training on that day.
Some persons are scared that they will become undisciplined if they permit themselves to relax the rules. Well, do not try to treat yourself as a machine. That is not going to work. Instead, you should have a rationalistic approach. If your body is telling you that it is bored of high intensity weight training, you should go in for cardio instead. This is what experts call-listening to your body.
If you have taken it easy for a few days at a stretch, you can always given to your other side calling you to start hard work as early as possible. If you find it difficult to motivate yourself, you can drive pushing yourself harder in office. If you cannot work hard at gym, climb stairs with more effort.
Your weight is primarily determined by your balance of calories, meaning how what you burn stacks up against what you consume every day. In order to lose weight you are going to need to increase your daily activity so that you are burning more calories, or to decrease what you eat so you are consuming fewer calories.
A single pound of fat amounts to 3,500 calories. If you want to lose one pound of fat every week then you need to expend 3,500 more calories per week than you consume, which you can do by decreasing what you increase, increasing what you do or both. A sensible goal is to lose between one and two pounds per week, so you should combine an increase in activity with a decrease in what you consume throughout the week in order to lose 3,500 calories every 7 days.
It is important that you understand how you burn calories. Your weight multiplied by the distance amounts to the energy that you are using while you walk. The time does not actually matter as much as the distance does. If you speed up to the point where you are walking a mile in less than 13 minutes, then you are going to be burning more calories for each mile that you walk. For more walkers who are just beginning, it is best for you to increase the distance that you can travel before you begin to worry yourself over your actual speed. A typical rule of thumb that you can follow is that you will burn 100 calories with each mile that you walk if you weigh 180 lbs.
You are going to burn more calories for each mile at lower speeds because momentum is not carrying you along the way it does when you are going more quickly. At high walking speeds, however, you use more muscle which means more calories so there is a bit of a balance depending on the speed you use.
There are many persons who are not comfortable joining a gym for their health and fitness workout. Others feel that it is very expensive proposition where one has to pay for services that one never intends to use. If you just want a cardio work out on a daily basis, what is the point of joining a gym that offers a spa, fruit juice bar and massage facility?
If you do not intend to
- take a bath at the gym
- eat anything at the gym or
- strip your clothes and stand in a steam room,
why should you pay for the same?
In such a scenario, you can allocate the membership fees that you pay to the gym and use the money better to design an exercise spot at home. You can take advantage of all your past experiences with gyms to redesign your space properly.
For starters, there should be a sense of lot of space in your exercise area. If you are allocating a small corner of a room as exercise space, make sure you install mirrors on the walls to heighten the sense of spaciousness.
Another advantage of using mirrors is that you can see yourself exercising. This is always a good thing. You should also try to create a different and distinctive feel in the exercise area. If the area has the same color as that of your master bedroom, chances are high that you will always feel like relaxing instead of exercising. Use bright colors, be innovative and make use of cartoons and posters of hunks to motivate yourself.
Try to make use of open space in the best manner possible. If you have a window in the space, try to keep it open at all times and make sure there is adequate light in your exercise area at all times.
You need not complete all these tasks in a single stretch. Rather, you can take your time and do it in an incremental banner to ensure you do not spend too much very quickly.
Once you have checked equipment in the gym and are satisfied with the quality of maintenance, it is time to take a look at quality of support staff. You may not be going in for premium option where you get access to personalized trainer and personalized training routine. However, that does not mean you will not get any assistance from the training staff.
If not anything, you will be told how to stretch and warm up to ensure you do not damage your body due to over enthusiasm. In such a scenario, you should check whether the support staff are well qualified to perform their duties.
Remember, there is no point in being shy about these matters when you are paying a lot of money and when your fitness is at stake. The last thing you want is to go to gym and end up with a muscle pull or spasm that keeps you in bed for a week at a stretch. Not only will you be paying extra for the gym, you will also lose money when forced to take a holiday from work.
Rather than regretting at a later date, you should be proactive and aggressive in the beginning. You can make it very clear to the administrator that they you want answers to all your questions before you are expected to take a decision. You can offer to choose the premium service but should insist on satisfaction of all your queries before proceeding.
If the gym is a part of a national or global chain, visit the website to find out what they commit to as far as qualification of employees is concerned. Do not focus on academic qualification alone.
You should focus on experience as well. A person who has zero experience working as a gym trainer is not necessarily a bad trainer. However, you will have to be slightly more careful to ensure that you would not become a guinea pig. The trainer should be one whom you can trust. Otherwise, you and your trainer may end up working at cross purposes.
Do you know the rationale behind idle worship? Those people who find it difficult to concentrate on an abstract entity as god prefer to view it in the form of a physical object. It may range from a stone to a beautifully crafted piece of cloth.
At the end of the day, it is important to remember that the ideal is merely a manifestation and that one should focus on the abstract for ultimate salvation. Well, the same approach is pretty much applicable during fitness regimen as well. We all like to measure the time that we have exercised.
We often feel that we have done a good job when we have exercised for one or two hours at a stretch. On the other hand, excising for just ten minutes is often considered a bad move.
Well, using time as a mode of measuring the quantum of work done may help people keep track of their fitness regimen. However, you should stop equating duration with fitness. Just because you have exercised for two hours does not mean you are going to become very fit.
If you spend 15 minutes taking rest after exercising for 5 minutes, you probably would have excised for not more than 30 to 40 minutes in entire stretch of two hours. Hence, do not focus on quantity alone.
Quality matters as well. If you exercise for 10 minutes a time and three times a day in a religious manner, you will probably be fitter than another individual who exercises for two hours a day but only once or twice in a week. Do not complain about fitness despite exercising a lot when you equate lots of exercise with lots of time.
When the weather changes and it becomes warmer outside, there are even more reasons than usual to take your workout outdoors. Here are five great ways that you can truly embrace the season and enjoy everything that the great outdoors has to offer you.
* Simply get outside! There is really nothing better than the gentle light of the spring and the warm breeze to really boost your mood. You will feel happier than ever simply to be alive when you are moving around outdoors.
* Get your arms going! Try to use walking poles or weights so that you can be toning your upper body while you are working your legs. This will help you get fit enough that you can go sleeveless during the summer!
* Be more social! Spring is all about new beginnings, and it also happens to be an excellent time for you to meet new people and renew older friendships. Call up a friend and invite them to go on a walk with you today.
* Experiment with interval training! You will be able to increase your stamina, which is vitally essential for truly enjoying all of the longer and activity filled days that you have ahead of you.
* Walk in pretty or visually appealing places! If you experience a short walk in a country park or a pretty place filled with beautiful views, you are going to lower depression comparison to walking indoors where you have nothing special to view along the way. Smell flowers, pick leaves, take photographs and enjoy the scenery around you to best take advantage of everything that your walk has to offer you.
It really does not take much to truly maximize the benefits of your walks, but walking outdoors is always going to be better for you than walking indoors, as long as the weather permits.
Walking is good for you; you should have no trouble understanding why. Not only will you approve your health and general well being, but you can also improve your memory and your ability to focus as well. There are some great ways that you can go walking without really realizing that you are exercising.
Try to experiment with different types and styles of walks, different times, different locations and different purposes in order to best benefit from your walks. Here are some great ideas for walks that you can go on.
* Take a walk in nature. You can improve your attention and memory when you walk in nature rather than through an urban area. Rather than walking a couple of blocks, walk a mile along a trail surrounded by trees and water instead.
* Connect with your senses while you walk. Take frequent breaks for yoga, tai chi or a similar practice to combine a brisk walk with chances to truly connect with your senses and you will improve brain power, flexibility and general health.
* Add in brief sprints to your walk. When you add in 2-3 minute sprints, you will improve endurance and metabolism while you walk. Interval training alternating between walking and running can have a profoundly positive impact on your health.
* Lift weights while you walk. This way, not only will you be improving your endurance and your physical fitness, but you will also be building strength at the same time. The more muscles that you have, the more calories you are going to burn in turn. This means that strength training can have a profoundly positive impact on your walking fitness as well.
Try experimenting with different types of walks and different walking exercises to find out what best works for you. When you find a walk that suits you, stick to it and you will surely reap numerous benefits to your health and well being.
The benefits of walking on hills can be explained by basic physics. When you heft your body up over hills you are going to expend more energy than when you are just walking on flat ground. Depending on what slope you are walking at, walking up a hill can actually burn between two and four times as many calories as walking on ordinary flat ground. Walking on a hill can also tone your calves, your butt and other core muscles in your body.
The ideal hill for walking is one that is steep enough that you are boosting your effort level without it actually leaving you at a point where you cannot keep walking. If you happen to live in the hill country, then you may have this type of terrain in your very own neighborhood. If you do not have hills nearby, then consider looking for local wildlife areas and state parks. You might also be able to do this on shallow stairs, such as the stairs leading to a public building for example.
The slope of the hill is going to dictate how much of it you actually integrate into the workout that you are doing. You should be warming up on a surface that is flat, and then begin your ascent up the hill. On a long gradual hill you should be aiming for a steadier pace. For shorter and steeper hills you should be aiming for pushing yourself up and over to the top so that you can reward yourself by catching your breath on the way back down.
Walking down hill can also increase your calorie burn as well. Descending a steeper include is going to work the muscles in your leg and your torso more than usual because your downward momentum has to be controlled to keep your body working upright.
There are so many different diet and exercise books, magazines, videos and websites out there that getting the right answers can feel overwhelming and difficult. It is more important for you to keep things simple when you are trying to lose weight, so break down your needs into simple numbers that you can achieve. There are ways that you can best lose weight just by walking every day. Here is a basic idea for how you should walk for weight loss and overall good health:
* Try to walk between 30 and 60 minutes at a maximum heart rate of between 50 and 70 percent. This is the ideal recommended amount of walking for health and weight loss.
* When you first begin walking, you should set out to follow an easy pace for at least 5 to 10 minutes.
*You should consider stopping and participating in some flexibility or stretching exercises as you walk.
* You should strive to walk at the target heart rate for a period of between 30 minutes and 60 minutes.
* You should spend five minutes cooling down by walking at a slower pace than how you were walking before.
* When you are finished walking you should engage in some gentle stretching.
* If you want to engage in a longer walk, then you should walk between 30 and 60 minutes at the target heart rate and then slow down to complete the additional minutes like 90 minutes or 120 minutes at a more comfortable pace.
* If you cannot initially walk for this long, it is okay. Just strive to walk as long as you reasonably can, and add a minute or two every day until you can comfortably walk for between 30 and 60 minutes at the desired pace. Increase your distance and duration consistently over time for the greatest results and benefits for your health and well being.
Nothing is capable of cranking up the potential of your walk like interval training can. Interval training means incorporating shorter bursts of harder-effort workouts into your typical workout. For example, you might walk at a moderate pace, and then occasionally break into a sprint. Not only does this challenge your body, but it breaks up the monotony associated with a typical walk through the park and keeps you on your toes–literally. There are different types of interval training that you can employ, and here are some ideas.
* Power Surge: Do not sprint, but simply surge in speed instead. Aim to go one notch above your typical comfort zone. You should still be able to talk, but you should also be able to feel your breathing when you pick speed up in this manner.
* Pyramid: This is a gradual increase in the amount of effort that you put forth. You should begin at an easy pace, then finish at your top speed, then climb back down the pyramid to return to your normal easy pace again.
* Speed Blast: Here you should have a quick burst of harder walking. With the speed blast you should be breathing hard enough that carrying on a conversation would be difficult.
Ultimately it is up to you which type of interval training you participate in, as long as you use one of these or a similar method to break up your workout with alternating between fast and slow. This will keep your heart beat going, will have you focusing hard on your workout, and will make things more fun, exciting and challenging in addition to working your body harder and lending you additional health benefits along the way. A little bit of interval training can really go a long way in maximizing the health benefits that you experience while making your workout fun, challenging and enjoyable.